Senior Business Systems Analyst
Durham, NC, United States
Date published: 12-Oct-2017
Utilizing strong functional/technical area knowledge of and expertise with relevant systems/applications, the incumbent defines, evaluates, and validates requirements, business functional design, and technical design for complex business issues within their domain areas. They act as a liaison representing their department and the processes and workings within it to develop effective technical solutions and minimize operational and system/application impacts. Coordinates with IT to support problem resolution, testing, software upgrades and related projects of a more complex nature.
Scope of work for ASO Functional Auditing
• Auditing and scoring the following:
o Benefit summaries between years
o Benefit summary to other interfacing systems, ie pharmacy, non standard, DIM and other specialized benefits
o Benefit summary to PMHS configuration
o Benefit configuration testing for sufficiency and accuaracy
o PMHS data that feeds to member/group distributed materials
o Audit to assure that each documented step in the specific has been followed
o Apply metrics to document and weigh any violations to overall quality of the ticket
o Report accuracy metrics to leadership
• Strong analytical experience including root cause analysis
• Strong communication orally and written
• Recent PMHS Subject Matter Expert (no more than 2 years gap in PMHS usage)
• PMHS SME expertise in benefit and group set up
• PMHS understanding and experience in claims processing and pricing outcome
• SQL or query experience specific to PMHS table structure
• Ability to know what data elements needed to accurate run or request reports for analysis
Technical Support/Business Expertise
• Provide advanced technical knowledge and support in operational system/application and procedural issues to the business and IT.
• Use judgment and initiative to review, analyze and develop solutions for business systems while identifying and quantifying the business impact of those solutions.
• Provide systems analysis expertise and regularly considers the business implications of the application of technology to the current business environment
• Coordinate ongoing user support for ad hoc questions, inquiries, and service requests.
• Ensure efficiency of reporting and data tools for supported business area use and for trend analysis.
• Assist less senior Business Systems Analysts to enhance overall team performance
• Facilitate the resolution of large, complex production system problems by
o Performing initial triage for severity and business impact of system/application failures.
o Troubleshooting and analyzing to determine root cause of issues,
o Developing applicable business processes and solutions to ensure quality, cost effectiveness, timeliness of customer service, and regulatory requirements and mandates are met.
o Coordinating with IT, other teams and vendors as needed to devise, test and implement long term remedies.
• Coordinate the development of system support processes with IT; coordinate daily to resolve production support issues, including application failures and user errors; document, track and report all system support activities
• Work collaboratively on projects and initiatives with the business and IT by eliciting and documenting business requirements and preparing appropriate functional specifications while considering technical capabilities of the system/application and ensuring an integrated approach is used.
• Act as Business Lead/Coordinator on large, complex departmental and/or some corporate projects/initiatives.
o Facilitates project intake, including scheduling of projects.
o Review and approve technical specifications
o Coordinates with IT on implementation and post implementation support
• Coordinate and develop testing plans with Business area and IT
o Serve as point of contact for business testing activities and influence testing strategy to ensures testing will appropriately meet business requirements
o Develop, document and may, in some cases, execute test plans and scenarios
o Analyze and verify results for accuracy, relevance and completeness.
o Provide impact assessments and make recommendations to the business owner regarding issues, risks, etc.
• Train/coach others on appropriate testing protocol, execution and test plan creation.
• Assist IT and help identify business area impacts for hardware and software upgrades, security changes, and architectural enhancements as needed.
• Configure and maintain critical system tables and data elements across multiple system environments
• Analyze, develop and implement configuration changes to improve system performance and user efficiency
• Monitor configuration for accuracy and compliance to change control processes.
• Undergraduate degree with 3 years of application/systems analysis experience (i.e. testing, project team work related to system functionality/process development).
• If no degree, 6 years application/systems analysis experience or 8 years experience in relevant business function developing significant technical skills with associated applications/systems
• Direct experience with automated tools to perform analysis and reporting (i.e. Business Objects, query writing) is required.
• Some project coordination experience is required.
• Visual Design tools knowledge/skills required.
• Familiarity with health care industry is preferred
• Experience in consultative role preferred.
• Demonstrated facilitation skills that include workgroup leadership and/or problem resolution across multiple groups.
• Project management skills.
• Focus on proactive and creative solutions to meet current and future business needs.
• Ability to read, interpret and apply technical specifications
• Ability to coach and train less experienced BSAs.
• Commitment to excellent customer service.
• Focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Solid formal presentation skills.
• Ability to work in and/or lead cross-functional project teams.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including ability to interpret and present quantitative data.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities, work independently and meet deadlines.
• Process focused
• Solid PC skills with MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint.